TMD Treatment From Your Dentists In St. Paul
What is TMD?
TMD stands for temporomandibular disorder. The temporomandibular joint is the joint that connects the lower jaw to the skull. TMD is a general term used to describe any disorder or dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint.
Which symptoms are associated with TMD?
While there are many symptoms to be aware of, some of the most common include:
- Pain or tenderness in the jaw
- A clicking or popping sound when opening or closing the mouth
- Pain in the face, neck, shoulders, or ear
What causes TMD?
There is no one single cause of TMD. Rather, it is thought to be caused by a combination of factors, including genetics, arthritis, bruxism (teeth grinding), and traumatic injury to the jaw.
How is TMD treated?
Treatment for TMD can vary depending on the underlying cause of the condition. In some cases, over-the-counter pain medication and ice packs may help while in other cases, other types of treatment may be necessary. This can include physical therapy, dental appliances, or surgery.
What are the benefits of treating TMD?
In addition to relieving pain and discomfort, treatment can also help improve jaw function and range of motion, prevent further damage to the temporomandibular joint, and avoid long-term complications.
If you think you may be experiencing TMD, call our team today. We’ll perform a thorough examination and provide treatment options to help!
Contact Smile Quest Dental About TMD Treatment Today
- Improve jaw function and range of motion
- Alleviate chronic discomfort
- Protect your teeth from grinding, cracking, and more
- Improve your nutritional intake and overall health
- Prioritize your well-being!